Saturday, April 24, 2010

R3 D10 LM... goals and motivation!

Seems like I am only getting a post in every other day :) So, the no weigh ins is getting easier. There are so many times I am tempted to get on the scale, but I just think why? I feel great and am doing what I should. Not to mention, I have been so sore this week from workouts that I am sure the scale would tick me off :)
One thing I am noticing is that with out the scale I feel a little lost. I am someone is very goal oriented, and now that the "scale" is not my goal, I am not sure what to do with myself :) I realize that I need to set a goal for myself, but the key is that it cannot be weight related. There is a blog I have read for years and she some amazing insight. She talked about how eventually there has to be a bigger motivation than the number on the scale, or else we always end up falling off the wagon. That is so true. Because the number on the scale does not change your life. It is what you do with your new body that changes your life. She started martial arts and fell in love with it. After a while, she realized that she did not want to lose weight to see a number on the scale, but that if she were lighter and fitter she could dodge that kick to her head or take down her opponent faster. Now that is what I am talking about. Our fitness goals should help us be even better in our everyday lives. I also used to find myself thinking things like "I will do that when I am skinny...." We have this picture of how life would be if we are thin. Everything would be different right? Well, once you are "skinny" if you have not made the changes that you see in your "picture" then you are really right where you started. We have to start doing those things and living our lives the way we want NOW.
I had a little "A- HA" moment yesterday. Things had gotten stressful and we were driving past Olive Garden. I had that feeling of "wouldn't it be nice to just go in and eat my troubles away....", and then my mind instantly said "yeah right, that's all I need is to add feeling like crap and bloated and miserable. Then have to undo the damage afterwards....no thank-you!" It took a moment before I realized what had just happened. Even though the old pattern of eating for comfort came, my mind instantly rejected it and looked at it for what it was. It would not solve anything and in fact would make things worse. How cool is that? :)
So my challenge to you all is to set a "fitness" goal for yourself that can't be a number on the scale. One that makes a real difference in your life. Being able to play soccor with your kid without dying, fitting into only one seat on the airplane, running a 5k.... whatever you want. I am going to pick something this weekend and then will let you know!

3 comments:

  1. What a wise woman you are! I tell you Jen, I always learn something whenever I read your posts. I come away thinking, 'She's right about that', or 'I can do that and incorporate that into my plan'. Well, you've hit the nail on the head again today, my friend! Thank you. We spend so much time, while on protocol, chasing a certain number on the scale. Which is very good while you're on the protocol. Then, whenever we reach that goal, we're a little lost.

    I want to feel energetic and not lethargic all the time. I want to feel good in clothes again, and good about my appearance. I want to feel confident about me again. Those are my goals. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LD that is awesome!! I am going to challenge you even one step further. Instead of being vague, pick even more concrete things. What is something you would do if you were energetic and not lethargic?? Make that a goal. Pick an outfit you want to get into, or stay in and thats your goal. What is something you would do if you were confident about yourself? Make that your goal! Really make them specific, so that you have something to actually achieve! You are amazing! Never give up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen! I'm going to take you up on that challenge! You'll have to give me some time to really think about it, because I want it to be meaningful, not off the cuff. I'll post about it, when I come up with it!

    hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete