Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The How, What and Why's of HCG......

Hi guys! Sorry for the long hiatus. This last week has been an adventure.... in research that is :) For those of you who have been following my blog, you know that I am sort of a nutrition junkie. I always want to know the science of it all, and what is going on behind the scenes. Things need to make sense logically for me. Although "HCG" has been successful to me thus far many of the concepts just made no sense scientifically. But I liked the weight loss so I just ignored that :)

I was reading the HCG forums and was watching a "fight" back and forth while someone was trying to point out some issues they had with the science and why they felt it was wrong. Of course this peaked my attention. So I found their website and read it from top to bottom. For me this was the information I had been looking for. This is where all of the missing links finally made sense.

The website is: sugarfreegoodies.wordpress.com.

The website is a little difficult to navigate and find what you are looking for, but if you read HCG Diet Analysis part l,ll,lll, and lV you will have the basics and all of the science that surrounds it. Part lV can be found in the recent posts, but to find the first 3 parts you need to go to the archives for the last couple months. Then you can look around and find the threads of the participants that are testing out the solution theory of the websites author.

So after digesting all of this I have stopped the HCG as of yesterday. I am monitoring my blood glucose very carefully and being specific on which foods I am eating. I am going to get the required blood work done so I can really find out what is going on with me. I decided to get a scale because I wanted to see what if any effects this would have on weight loss or gain. This morning I lost .6 lbs and was able to use face and body lotion and eat 50gms of fat :) All while HCG is still in my system.

I am in no way discrediting any HCG followers. I think Simeon had parts of the picture, just not the whole picture. For me this makes sense. Finally. Take it or leave it. We all have to do what is right for us, and no matter what program we follow, I am glad we are in it together:)

I will post and let you know what I find out along the way :)

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the blog link, very interesting reading! I've snooped through your web links and see we read a lot the same blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these the guidelines your following?
    The website is confusing.

    No HCG. At all.
    ~50 grams of saturated fat per day for everyone = 450 calories
    ~25 grams of non-sugar carbohydrates (no counting green leafy veggies, just like Simeons) per day for everyone = 100 calories
    ~52 to 64 grams of protein per day for each participant, depending on mass.
    ~Calories therefore range from 750 to 798 calories per day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the guidelines the participants are on. They have all had their blood work done and have been coached according to their specific issues. The author makes it clear that it should be done first and foremost. You have to wait a week or so before you can get it done due to the HCG being in your system, so I am just following along for curiosities sake and learning to monitor blood levels etc. If you have read all 4 parts then you should have all of the main information. You can also see what the participants results are each day on their threads. They all are previous hcg users, and had to start the trial on HCG, except for 1 who is the control subject. Interesting stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, I like the idea of using lotion again. I've been on hcg for a about a week. I'm very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing the same thing! No more HCG after reading the forum and her blog. I am glad I did it though because I never thought I could go low carb. Good luck and I am anxious to follow you on this new path!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its actually less food. Simeons allowed 100g of meat twice daily. I'm goin to try it for a couple days. I skipped tonights hcg. I kinda feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chellie- you need to remember that 100g is a scale weight, not the grams of protein in a specific food. The 100g of chicken on the scale has approximately 21-24 grams of protein. So the protein is almost the same as Simeons. In actuality, it is slightly higher ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I get it - I was thinking so hard about that and just couldn't make any sense of it!

    Also - do you think with butter, we should count the fat grams with the sat fat, or just the sat fat by itself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count total fat grams of any kind of fat. But the purpose is to shoot for saturated fat as your main source, as opposed to vegetable oils.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have followed you for probably over a year and like you took a hiatus from hCG and eventually gained some of what was lost, approx. 30 pounds. I just read this and it was as if I was reading something that I could've written. I went through the same steps, starting another round after so long then reading sugarfree. I too like to know the science of it all and although Simeons did not always make sense, I ignored it because I was losing weight. I have had my blood work done and have been in touch with sugarfree. We'll see where it takes us. Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

    Kym

    ReplyDelete