Sunday, June 27, 2010

Splenda..... the bitter truth!

Photo courtesy of: Dialed-In Nutrition.

I read an excellent excerpt on Splenda today over at Dialed-In Nutrition. It was a very good insight into splenda and artificial sweeteners in general. I am always questioning my better judgment when it comes to my stevia consumption. I am not sure if it is better or not. If the truth is that when we ingest anything "sweet" our pancreas have learned to produce an insulin response, then is any sweetner really "safe"?? Definitely something that needs more research. What do you guys think?? Read the article and let me know your thoughts. Of course, I write this at the end of a "sweet" filled weekend...... will I ever learn? :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this article Jen- I read it, and now wonder if it would just be better to use real sugar, if you want a sweetener. Just use moderate amounts of it. I didn't realize that splenda screwed with the good bacteria in your intestinal tract, or that it would possibly interrupt some prescription drugs from being absorbed. I think the most disturbing thing I read was that it makes your body produce insulin thinking that you're going to be digesting sugar, and when there's no sugar, it can predispose you to diabetes. That's pretty scary stuff right there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew some of the facts about sucralose. It just gets more unbelievable. It's hare to believe I bought into the low fat/artificial sweetener is good for you lies. I still have a hard time not falling back into that line of thinking. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevia is the one sweetener I wouldn't worry about. It's even shown to have health benefits that help diabetics. Here is an interesting link:
    http://reid_j.tripod.com/stevia.htm

    ReplyDelete