Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tasty tidbits when your in a hurry....

I try to be very good about not eating processed foods. But there are sometimes when you just need something fast.

Today at the gym I was dying and needed something to eat afterwards. I went to the cafe and got some very good things. So good, I just had to share. First I needed some quick protein so I tried Ostrim ostrich jerky. Pepper flavor. Yum! Each stick has 14 grams of protein and less than a gram of sugar! And only 80 calories for a pretty big stick! :)
I added a package of freeze dried berries. Very good and crunchy! Nothing in the ingredients but the fruit itself! 84 calories for the bag!
And of course I noticed the chocolate! There is a company called Sweetriot that makes these little dark chocolate cocao nibs and a square chocolate bar that has 4 large chunks in it. Both are AMAZING and made with 70% dark chocolate.
The chocolate bar has 180 cals with 11 grams of sugar. So each big chunk is only 45 calories with 2.75 grams of sugar.
The cocoa nibs are in a tin. The whole tin has 140 cals and 6 gms of sugar. Just eat a few nibs whenever you get that chocolate craving. YUM!

So that was my snack: jerky, freeze dried fruit, and a square of dark chocolate! All for 209 calories! Not too bad :)

6 comments:

  1. Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been away so long and just wanted to comment on your recent photos- YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Congratulations! I will try to keep up better with posting and reading. :)

    Thanks for the above suggestions, too- great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I can get those things in Canada. My luck probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds awesome- and I want to join your gym with a cafe like y
    that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlin- thanks so much. I do try to check in on your blog as well! We need to hear more from you! :)

    Miss Mary- the jerky is really good! Just close your eyes and picture something more attractive while eating it :)

    Phoenix- I was able to find both at Amazon, and at much better prices than individual at the gym. I am going to order some.

    Holistic- I go to Lifetime Fitness here in Utah. The gym is HUGE, and absolutely gorgeous. The cafe has products and fresh made salads, sandwiches, shakes etc. They give you the nutritional facts of everything! The gym has everything you could possible imagine. My favorite is the outdoor pool. They play music and there is an outdoor cafe as well.

    ReplyDelete